Monday, February 23, 2009

Nomura's Jellyfish : Wonder Of Sea

Nomura's Jellyfish


Join me @ forangelsonly

Nomura's Jellyfish is a very large Japanese jellyfish. It is in the same size class as the lion's mane jellyfish, the largest cnidarian in the world. The width of these jellyfish are slightly larger than the height of most full grown men.

Join me @ forangelsonly



Join me @ forangelsonly




While stings of this large jellyfish are painful, they are not usually toxic enough 
to cause serious harm in humans.

Join me @ forangelsonly
Join me @ forangelsonly

The most recent problems first became obvious in late August 2005 when Japanese fishermen fishing for squid, anchovies, salmon and Japanese amberjack began finding huge numbers of the jellyfish in their nets. The areas that were hardest hit were the Sea of Japan coasts of Fukui and Shimane prefectures in western Japan.
Join me @ forangelsonly




Often, the weight of the echizen kurage broke the nets or crushed fish in the net. In the worst cases, as many as 1000 Nomura's jellyfish have been trapped in one net. Many fish trapped within the net with the jellyfish that survived were too poisoned and slimed by the tentacles to be of commercial value.


Join me @ forangelsonly

The problem with combating the jellyfish is that when they are under attack or killed, they release billions of sperm or eggs which connect in the water and attach to rocks or coral formations. when the conditions are favorable, the creatures detach from their home millions at a time and grow into more jellyfish.



Join me @ forangelsonly
Join me @ forangelsonly
Join me @ forangelsonly

lion's mane jellyfish , Large jelly fish Nomura jellyfish ,
Japanese large jelly fish

No comments:

Post a Comment